Are you ready to get away with your best girlfriends and have the ultimate girls’ trip? Alberta, Canada is the perfect destination, offering a combination of music, nature, and relaxation. The Country Thunder musical festival is a must-see for any country music fan, and what better way to experience it than with a group of your favorite ladies by your side? And after a day of dancing and singing along to your favorite artists, you can retreat to the peaceful surroundings of Yoho National Park for a night of camping under the stars. Keep reading for tips on how to plan the ultimate girls’ trip to Alberta.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item or service, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Travelling During Covid-19
With the unpredictability of Covid-19 and the variant strains, always research before booking any trips. You can find the latest travel advisory here: World Health Organization
Where to Stay in Calgary
For our trip, the girls and I chose to stay in an Airbnb. We stayed in close to the Beltline, which allowed us to walk to lots of restaurants, shops, and activities as we prepped for our country music festival weekend.
If there are 3-4 of you, we’d stay at the Airbnb we booked again.
Country Thunder Music Festival
Every August, Calgary is one of the host cities for the Country Thunder Music Festival. If you enjoy country music, but want to avoid huge crowds like Stampede, this festival is for you.
Weekend Pass Tickets are $225 CAD (totally worth it in my opinion!)
Camping Trip in Yoho National Park
Yoho National Park is a great alternative to Banff as it’s not as popular with tourists but just as beautiful!
I am not a backcountry camper so Yoho is a great option for RV and car camping. RV and car camping can be found just a short distance from the town of Field, and by hiking further you can reach spectacular backcountry campgrounds. When camping in the Canadian Rockies you can wake up beside an alpine lake, fall asleep to the sound of a distant waterfall, or sit around the campfire watching the sun fade behind a mountain.
How to Book a Campsite
Yoho is an incredibly popular camping spot so you’ll need to book ahead of time. To book your campsite, you can navigate to the Yoho Campsite website.
There are options for car camping (front country), backcountry camping, as well as hotels and inns if you are not the camping type.
- Drive from Calgary through Banff for a scenic stop at Lake Louise.
- Arrive at our campsite at Kicking Horse Campsite set up camp.
- Make dinner and enjoy the fire & stars.
- Make breakfast and coffee at camp.
- Drive to Emerald Lake for a morning trail walk. Emerald Lake Trail is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Field, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
- Relax by the fire.
- Make breakfast and coffee at camp.
- Drive to Takakkaw Falls to see the second-largest waterfall in Canada, totaling 373 metres (1,224 ft).
- Back to camp before it rains! Celebrate our friend’s engagement with a surprise bachelorette party and dancing in the rain.
In summary, a girls’ trip to Alberta is the perfect combination of music, nature, and relaxation. The Country Thunder musical festival is a must-see event, and camping in Yoho National Park is the perfect way to spend 3 days. With a little bit of planning and some help from this guide, you and your friends can have the ultimate Alberta getaway. So why wait? Start planning your trip today and get ready for an unforgettable experience with your best girlfriends.